I always prefer to take calculated risks. The biggest risks I find are those that I don’t take at all. If you never take the risk, you will never learn. If you never learn, you will never change. If you never change, your life will be nothing but a boring soap opera….and we all know how popular they are these days. Here are 17 quotes from famous people on taking risks.
1. “When you take risks you learn that there will be times when you succeed and there will be times when you fail, and both are equally important.” ― Ellen DeGeneres (1958-), Talk Show Host/TV Personality
2. “People who don’t take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.” – Peter F. Drucker (1909-2005), Australian Management Consultant
3. “Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller (1980-1968), American Author & Political Activist
4. “The cost of being wrong is less than the cost of doing nothing.” – Seth Godin (1960-), American Author & Entrepreneur
5. “We’ve greatly exaggerated the risk of sinking, without celebrating the value of swimming.” – Seth Godin (1960-), American Author & Entrepreneur
6. “I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” – Pablo Picasso (1881-1973), Spanish painter
7. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962), Former First Lady & Human Rights Advocate
8. “Necessity is the mother of taking chances.” – Mark Twain (1835-1910), Author
9. “You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky (1961-), Former Hockey Player
10. “Danger can never be overcome without taking risks.” – Latin Proverb
11. “Go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.” — Jimmy Carter (1924-), Former President of the United States
12. “Test fast, fail fast, adjust fast.” — Tom Peters (1942-), American Writer
13. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” — Mark Twain (1835-1910), Author
14. “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” — Geena Davis (1956-), Actress
15. “If we were motivated by money, we would have sold the company a long time ago and ended up on a beach.” – Larry Page (1973-), Co-Founder of Google
16. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.” – Richard Branson (1950-), CEO of Virgin Mobile & English Investor & Businessman
17. “If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts.” – Steve Jobs (1955-2011), Co-Founder of Apple Inc.
Don’t be afraid to take risks, especially smart ones.